Quantcast

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Style Speak - Ombre

One of the last positions I held at my previous employer was the Product Knowledge Coordinator.  Sounds kind of boring right?  Well, it was actually really fun.  I was in charge of translating designer speak to the masses, and educating the sales team on the latest collection.  I would view the line each season, and put together fun books that would detail the design team's inspiration, talk about the latest trends and fabrics, and basically give the sales team the tools they would need to help sell a $1,500 suit.  When selling high-end clothing, you've got to present yourself as the expert in your field.

The above book became my best friend.   When one of our designers would say a term I had never heard before, I would quickly reference this book and then nod in agreement, like yes, of course I know what the new Ikat trend is all about.  Fooled them all!  HA!  Now, my brain is filled with more trivial fashion knowledge than I may ever need.  But it is fun to know for instance, that the red flats I wore yesterday in Playgrounds & Lollipops had an Ombre detail to them. Thank you for all your kind compliments on them. 
Ombre: Closely related tones of color with monochromatic shading from light to dark of single color (e.g., pale pink to red, or in several colors like a rainbow).  Der. French, "shaded."

So while it typically refers to the dying of fabric, it basically is just when one color fades from light to dark, or vice versa, hence my shoes being ombre in that they go from a burgundy red, to a dark, almost black red.
 
You can always count on Google to display pages of results as well, as found here, and here, and here.
This my friends, has been the debut of Style Speak, a new feature I will be doing every now and then.  What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. This is EXACTLY the sort of stuff that makes my mind whirl. I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, as ever. But, you need to include a pronunciation guide for the total fashion rejects like myself. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flats are beautiful! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...